Wednesday 25 July 2007

Tales from the Emerald Pentacle Issue Five

Once again, dear readers we meet again to hear yet another of the Tales from the Emerald Pentacle, set in the fantastic world of Talislanta, run by Brass Jester of Halesowen Boardgamers.

These feature some new characters and the story is told from the viewpoint of one of them, Tarra, a Danuvian Virago.

‘ I’m sitting in the Emerald Pentacle, waiting to meet my new employer. “An important contract” said Captain Varis; “serve the Gyne well.” Ha! I know full well why I’m here; one day there will be a reckoning between Varis and me.
Drinking aquavit, not bad but a bit pricey. Approached by a Calladian, name Aurelianus. Contract is an expedition to the Vaults of Locris on the Kasmir border. What’s the pay, I ask. 60% of all you find, but I get all scrolls and texts found, he replies. So what’s there and who was Locris? He doesn’t know. The Tomb was mentioned in some obscure reference in an obscure tome written in an obscure language. Well, that’s cleared that up then. Interested? No choice, Varis would love it if I went back to her and said it was not for me.
‘Then you shall meet your fellow adventurers’ said Aurelianus, ‘come forward’
Is this a joke? A scowling Jhangaran and a child-like Gnomekin!
‘Am very pleased to meet you’, purred the Gnomekin. I recognised the trappings of a Crystalomancer. ‘Our questing will be good. Am Aro Erobia’
‘! Hear. I am Vock!’ rasped the Jhangaran. ‘I fight well, woman’
Resist urge to split stupid elongated skull open. ‘Glad to hear it, man of the swamp’, I replied.

Aurelianus laid out a scroll on the table. Route to tomb on Kasmir border, passage arranged on land ark, but I will ride Brinni, (my Greymane equs). Stupid swamper lost his Marsh Strider in a scam. This is a joke. Hope a real job turns up soon.

Something’s wrong, my mane is prickling. Pulled a dagger, turned and threw, hitting a whisp hovering nearby. Whisp dropped a clear crystal; Aro pounced on it. ‘Is enchanted glassite. Are being spied upon’.
Everyone’s staring. What’s wrong? Ahh… it is illegal to throw or use missile weapons in the Crystal City. By the Seven Moons, I didn’t damage anything (other than the whisp). The green skins shouldn’t be so touchy.
Aro says crystal is a power gem so could be used by anyone. Ask Aurelianus, who else is interested? Does not know; probably not telling the truth. Aro very excited, thinks may be able to seed glassite crystal. Do not know what he is talking about.

Head out into city to buy equipment.
! Hear. I will lead!’ rasps Vock. Suggest arm- wrestling contest; winner is leader, no questions asked.
!! ** !!! ** !!

Well, I really messed that up. Vock is a lot stronger than he looks. Still, a soldier follows orders. Let’s hope he doesn’t get us killed. Vock suggests all monies found pooled and split three ways. Sounds all right; perhaps he is not so stupid.

23rd Drome: Kasmir border.

Ruins of Kasmiran tower on hill to west. Captain Perris states ark will return in seven days, told Brinni to return in two days (I know he understands me).
Exploring tower. ! Hear. The woman will go first!’ He is so pushing it!
‘ Come look, have found something of interest. Am very pleased to have done so’
A landslip had uncovered asset of double doors. Symbols on doors; unknown to me. Strange repeating bubble motif. Our leader forced the doors open. Steps down to hallway; whole place stinks of decay.

Exploring. Found grille blocking access to a chamber; Vock tried to rip it out and strained muscle in back. Aro pulled out green crystal; ‘ Am using Emeralite Radiance of Terra to heal injury’. It must have worked as Vock recovered.

A set of doors, Vock listened and pronounced ‘! Nothing! There is nothing.’
Stupid Jhangaran! “Nothing” turned out to be five Darklings. Aro hit one with a bolt of Terra’s Fires but then Vock and I waded in.
Took few blows and armour absorbed all of them, but couldn’t land a solid hit! What’s up with me? Captain Varis would have a field day.
Vock getting hurt from slingshots; Aro went in and did a Spell of Healing. Finally all Darklings down; searched bodies and found 10 lumens, five of which I gave to Vock (as he had seen me).

Ironbound strongbox contained a cloak of spinifax, 300 lumens in a cloth bag, a Crystalomantic crystal (an Amberite?) and, well hidden, a vial of 1 dram Fearflash.

A pause whilst Aro did another healing spell on Vock, then we continued. Found a secret door leading through a mirror into a room we had previously found; backtracked and opened another door to be assailed by an unbelievable stench! Never smelt anything like it and nearly lost my dinner; Vock drew his sword and waded in to the slime-coated room. Then I saw what was causing the stench: three Urthrax! Even the sight of them was nauseating. Aro cast an ‘Earthshield’ spell and followed me. I got bitten but my armour deflected the bite; got a bit slimed though. Vock holding his own but Aro getting bitten; turned and cleaved the thing nearly in two with a massive halberd blow. Finally killed them all (without throwing up). Found a chest, which Vock opened. Contained 100 gold lumens and a bottle of Thaecian nectar (I think, I’m not going to drink it until the bottle’s had a good wash).

‘ Am weak. Magic very exhausted’

! Explore! Run if we must!

“ And if we can” I thought.

Vock marched down a passage and into a room with four doors, containing four Darklings.

! Weak! Will take them easily!

Vock went, trying double strikes. Soon getting hit and taking damage.

“No good’” gasped Aro. “Magic exhausted. Am sorry”

Charged in with halberd: Darkie well hit and cleaved in two! Spun round, took out second one. Vock double strike, took out other two. In corner was pottery urn, containing 500 gold lumens and 2 sheets of fireproof parchment (suppose the Calladian will claim that). Small locked iron chest, unable to open so carried it outside.

All of us were hurt so retired outside to ruins and waited for land-ark. Returned to Cymril; rented a room at the Emerald Pentacle for 10 gl per week

! Hear! You fight well, woman!

“So do you, Vock”

No comments: