Wednesday 3 December 2008

Paranoia

Paranoia

29.10.08

Half –term and I decided to try Paranoia again. Since the last game I’d bought the new Mongoose printing and a collection of classic adventures from the ‘80’s; upgraded to the new system. The first game had been such a blast, I thought this would go down well with the group.
Well, frankly, it didn’t.
I ran ‘Robot Imana - 655C’ from the scenario book. On paper it looked great; a ‘closed room’ mystery; locked in a room with a malfunctioning ‘bot that just “might” be a WMD ( but is actually a drinks freezer). Unfortunately, what looked good on paper didn’t translate into reality. It was more frustrating than fun; both for me and the kids. The previous game had been free-form, with a lot of improvisation, and this had led to the laughs. I’m not going to write up too much; there weren’t many high points to relate. Perhaps the kids would care to comment?
If I run Paranoia again; then I’ll revert to the 2nd Ed. Sorry, Mongoose; there’s just too much in the new version; detracts from the simplicity.

No comments: